Executive Director | THE PILGRIM JOHN HOWLAND SOCIETY
The Pilgrim John Howland Society
The Board of Directors of The Pilgrim John Howland Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, seeks qualified candidates for the position of Executive Director.
The Pilgrim John Howland Society was established to preserve and present the story of Mayflower Pilgrims, John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley, through education, exhibition and research. The Pilgrim John Howland Society operates and manages a Genealogical Society as well as a number of assets including The Jabez Howland House and the Shallop Elizabeth Tilley both located in Plymouth, Massachusetts, as well as the property Rocky Nook in Kingston, Massachusetts. The Society is currently preparing to celebrate the 400th Anniversary of the Mayflower landing in Plymouth in 1620. The Executive Director will play an important role in helping to move the organization forward through this exciting time.
The Executive Director reports to The Pilgrim John Howland Society Board of Directors and works with the Board to fulfill the Society’s vision and mission, ensuring that the museum remains open to the public for historic, cultural and recreational uses while also successfully carrying out day-to-day operations of the Society.
The Executive Director is ultimately responsible for all aspects of operations, preservation, programming, development, finances, marketing and communications for the Society. During the summer season, the Executive Director will be primarily responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Jabez Howland site, including the oversight of docents providing tours, organizing and implementing exhibitions, and carrying out on-site community events. During this time, the Executive Director will also oversee some limited activities at the Rocky Nook site.
During the off-season, the Executive Director will focus on devising and executing strategies enabling The Pilgrim John Howland Society to enhance and deepen its external relationships with existing and new financial supporters, community organizations, and local residents, as well as planning for the upcoming season. Overall, key responsibilities include evangelizing the Howland story and heightening its profile in the county and the region, seeking new sources of funding, and successfully communicating the mission, vision, and story of the Howland lineage in pursuit of development and revenue goals.
- A compelling spokesperson, able to communicate the values of the organization while inspiring donors, members and the community to engage in the vision for the society;
- Demonstrate their ability to create a strategic plan for growing the organizations’ membership base and reaching fundraising goals; and
- Familiarity with budget and financial affairs in relation to the operations of a non-profit.
- Must be committed to protecting and preserving the legacy and assets of the society and demonstrate their ability to educate and engage others in the history of the society.
- Minimum of 5 years of successful and progressively responsible, executive experience.
- Relevant experience working with a board and leading a staff and volunteers
- Knowledge of and experience with managing a historic house museum and/or lineage society.
- Knowledge of historic preservation best practices and historic property management of a site similar in size and scope to the Society (or larger).
- Experience managing a non-profit institution would be ideal.
- Proven track record of significant fundraising and development success.
The candidate should at a minimum hold a Bachelor’s degree ideally in arts, culture, education, hospitality or closely related field. Candidates having experience leading a membership-based institution such as The Pilgrim John Howland Society, and/or candidates with a Master’s degree in Business, Museum Studies, or a field directly relevant to the mission of the Society are likely to be preferred.
This position is for a 2-year term with the opportunity for renewal. Salary and benefits competitive for comparable positions in non-profit organizations. Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Additional information on the Society can be found at https://pilgrimjohnhowlandsociety.org. The deadline to apply is November 30, 2018.
Full Job Source