Family Support Specialist – Housing (Oak Park) | New Moms
About the Organization:
New Moms believes that young moms who are experiencing poverty and homelessness have the potential to interrupt the cycle of poverty for two generations and create strong families and communities for generations to come. We offer opportunities for stable housing, job training, and family support for over 250 young moms and their children every year in an innovative two generational model. The mission of New Moms is to express the love of God by surrounding young moms and their children with all they need to transform their lives and we live this out every day with our core values of love, grit, hospitality, empowerment, and possibility.
New Moms is a 35 year old nonprofit organization, with a budget of about $4 million and a staff of 50, focused on serving young moms and their children in Chicago and the near western suburbs. Our headquarters is located on the west side of Chicago in the Austin neighborhood. Our social enterprise, Bright Endeavors, which provides paid transitional jobs for young moms, is located nearby in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. We also have an office in Oak Park serving the near western suburbs with family support and housing. We are completing the process of building a new building to provide new office space and 18 permanent supportive housing units for families experiencing homelessness. This position will be in the new Oak Park building and will have a start date of early January 2019.
New Moms’ Benefits: We offer a comprehensive benefits package to full-time employees including health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; matching on retirement savings up to 3%; 14 paid holidays; and generous paid time off. We also offer several unique benefits to New Moms: discounts on Bright Endeavors products, free optional spiritual direction services, and half days on Fridays in the summer.
About the Job:
This position is responsible for providing comprehensive, individualized coaching and support to families living in our permanent supportive housing program. Additionally, this position is responsible for providing support and services that focuses on the whole family to help them achieve their goals in the areas of education, employment, life skills, health and well-being. This position will be located at our Oak Park office. Salary: $38-46k DOE.
Key Job Responsibilities Include:
- Maintains a case load of 18 families who reside at Clare’s Place, our permanent supportive housing program.
- Through a strengths based approach, conducts thorough assessments of families, utilizing prescribed assessment tools on the established schedule; develops written service plans, with quarterly updates at a minimum which includes steps to for increased education and/or unsubsidized employment and permanent housing at exit.
- Conducts at least bi-monthly home based visits with the participant that consist of age-appropriate parent-child activities and observations intended to enhance the parent-child relationship as well as service planning, life skills and emotional support through a trauma informed approach.
- Assists in planning and facilitating groups that promote family well-being and growth as well as providing education and support around life skills.
- Works to engage participants in the program, working to maximize participant retention and minimize early exits as well as program safety.
- Performs written and electronic recordkeeping functions as required for both internal and external databases on a timely basis.
- Collaborates with the Property Management team, focusing on eviction prevention and includes participation of move-ins and exits.
- Works in tandem with other New Moms staff to integrate services across the Agency.
- Participates in an on-call schedule that includes both housing locations at a minimum for 1 week a month.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Full Job Source