Procurement & Property Manager | Brookhaven National Laboratory
Why Work at BNL?
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory’s almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Owned by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science, Brookhaven National Lab (BNL) is one of New York State’s largest scientific research centers. The world’s foremost scientists join with the local workforce in the enterprise of exploration, including massive construction projects and ever-expanding support services. BNL anchors New York as a leading center for innovation. BNL’s discoveries at the most exciting frontiers of science — from the fabric of the cosmos to zero-emission vehicles — generate the kinds of unprecedented, game-changing advances that help shape the future. BNL is currently in the midst of a very aggressive growth and we are hiring across many different programs/organizations.
BNL’s Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab’s research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab’s success. Led by Chief Financial Officer George Clark, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division, and Procurement & Property Management Division. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $600 million annual budget.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provides support for purchasing services, materials, equipment, and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division does the following:
- Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., “best value,” using best commercial practices;
- Supports the Laboratory’s socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service disabled veteran owned, and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses;
- Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with the prime contract, applicable statutes and regulations, and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards.
The Procurement and Property Management Division has an opening for a Manager responsible for directing and controlling the activities of a professional staff that is responsible for purchasing commercial and non-standard commodities to support continuous Laboratory operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include the following:
Plans, organizes, and directs the activities of a professional staff that is responsible for:
- Purchasing commercial and non-standard commodities to support continuous Laboratory operations.
- Monitoring the acquisition management system for compliance to the laws and regulations relating to applicable sections of the Brookhaven Science Association (BSA) is Prime Contract, for adherence to the internal policies and procedures of the Laboratory, and the wisdom of sound business practices.
- Maintaining effective, administrative control of the receipt, allocation, transfer, and disposition of all Laboratory assets within established Department of Energy (DOE) and BNL operating guidelines and procedures.
- Maintaining effective, administrative control of corporate credit card use and expenses within established DOE and BNL operating guidelines.
- Engaging in managerial activities to maintain operation control.
- Developing and implementing long-range plans and strategies to ensure the efficient and continuous operations of the PPM department in meeting the needs of the Lab.
- Serving as the focal point of all interactions with DOE’s Brookhaven Site Office. Reviewing all written communications with the DOE.
- Overseeing and coordinating operational assessments related to balanced scorecard results and reports.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in business or related fields.
- Experience: 15 years comprising direct procurement experience within a large organization and in a complex regulatory environment; the management of large, complex construction projects; and the management of a professional staff.
- Experience with directing and managing the work of others.
- Practice and principles of purchasing, management, Project Management, Inventory Management.
- Negotiating, verbal and written communication skills. Experience working in a government procurement environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
- Master’s degree in business or equivalent experience.
- Certified Procurement Professional (CPP) or similar certification in government procurement practices
- Working experience in DOE, with Department of Energy Acquisition Regulations (DEAR.)
- Working knowledge of Union Contracts.
Will require occasional travel in support of Procurement activities and small business activities.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Full Job Source